Well hello to you my reader chums! Since a young age I wasn't the most confident girl, shy in every situation possible where I'd prefer to hide away than speak up. Being confident was something I'd always wanted for myself, to be about to feel free without the constant worry of what if. This could mean anything from talking to new people or even asking for help when I used to be at school. There was always that inner voice telling me 'you can't do it' or 'you'll look silly' and I guess that's where my anxiety spiralled from. However despite this, over the past year or so my confidence has grown immensely and I couldn't of been prouder of who I've become. Sure I'm still not the most confident girl, yet I done things I never thought I would. I therefore wanted to share with you, some of the tips and tricks which have given me that extra boost forward in the right direction.
- Surround yourself with positive people - This is something easier said than done. Throughout life you're bound to be surrounded by negative people but amongst those are the many that'll boost you up in the right way rather than put you down. These are the ones you should hold onto and build friendships with as this positivity will help your self confidence grow. Through the past few years, from finishing school, I've made a solid circle of friends who I trust and help build my confidence. By distancing myself from the negative influences I had previously, gave me the opportunity to work on myself and thrive in an environment with bubbly, positive people. My tip therefore is if there's someone in your life who doesn't help spur you on, encourage or support you then you don't need them.
- Compliment yourself - Probably one of the most important factors in your journey to self love is complimenting yourself. This in itself is quite a tricky thing especially if you're very low on self esteem, however through small steps you can get there. The best way to begin is when you look in the mirror, point out what you do like about yourself and focus on that. The same goes for your day when you feel you've lacked confidence in a certain event- think about what went right and what you did do rather than what you shied away from. By doing this you'll get away from the negativity about yourself, accept your flaws and begin to love you for who you are, which in the long run will aid towards changing your views into a more confident light.
- Just say yes - Self confidence comes from you and therefore saying yes to new opportunities will guide you in the right directions for your newly found confidence. This can be anything out of your comfort zone, for instance taking a phone call at work, offering to do a presentation, putting your hand up in a lesson or speaking to a stranger, whatever it is, try and do it. When you've achieved something you never thought you could do or had little confidence in doing beforehand, you'll then be able to hopefully go on following through with tasks, building that confidence within you.
- Try something new - Whether its working a different make up style, outfit, hairstyle or even heading out with a different group of friends, all of these can help build self confidence. By testing out various looks you can let you inner creativeness loose and learn to be comfortable in other styles rather than your usual go to ootd. Meeting up with other groups of people is great for building social skills, making conversations with people you don't know too well - this in itself will bring natural confidence as you won't have your usual 'safety blanket' to back you up; a more hands on confidence push.
- Go shopping - There's no better way to feel good about yourself and building up your self confidence than buying an outfit you feel amazing in. Grab your best pals and head out shopping! Not only will your they help you decide what looks best but you can all have a fun filled time together - one of my favourite activities. You can learn this way what styles you really feel comfortable in and can work when you're feeling insecure about your appearance - for instance, just whack on the little black dress number on a night out and you're good to go.
I hope you enjoyed these tips on self confidence. What helps you feel more self confident?
Thank you for reading <3